Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday Memo 3/7/16

Greetings Families!

I hope you had a great weekend.  I went on my annual trip to Middlebury to visit my aunt and uncle, which I've done almost every winter of my life.  I love family traditions.  It was nice to get away from my laundry, and I worked a little more on my knitting, which is now six inches long.  I seem to be operating on an average of a centimeter a week.  Small steps...

Science

We wrapped up our science unit on states of matter with an experiment in which we separated mixtures of color.  Students recorded their observations and conclusions in their lab booklets, which I am looking forward to sharing with you at our upcoming conference.  Look what happens when you drop water on a dot of black marker:
 Amazed?  Your second grader was, too!  It's called chromatography.  Ask your child about it.

Math

Have you heard "The Polygon Song?"  If not, click here, and your super second grader will be happy to sing a long with you!  We are finishing up our geometry unit and will soon move into addition and subtraction of three digit numbers.  Students constructed two dimensional polygons with straws and pipe cleaners and three dimensional objects as well!  In addition to learning the attributes of polygons, we are also focusing on dividing rectangles into arrays of rows and columns, which is the foundation of multiplication.  Multiplication is a major part of third grade math.

It was great to see some of you at Math Night.  In case you missed it on the Happy Hollow Twitter feed, here's a pic from a fun evening of games with friends. 

Sharing

Math Night games were lots of fun, so this week, we are sharing games in our classroom!  On your child's sharing day, they should bring in a game and demonstrate how to use it and explain why they like it.  The whole class will have an opportunity to play it, either together or in a small group, depending on the game.  This can be a board game, or a game they learned at camp, whatever...  I'm hoping to get some good ideas!

Thank you for all of your help and support.  Have a great week.

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment